Crowns and Bridges
Crowns and bridges are amazing restorations for lost and damaged teeth. The office of Dr. William D. Ledford offers high quality crowns and bridges to bring back the lost look and function of your teeth.
A dental crown is a cap that is placed over a damaged or lost tooth in order to protect and strengthen the tooth structure. Crowns not only improve the appearance of, cracked, broken, severely discolored or misshapen teeth, but also restore their function.
A dental crown can be used to:
- To protect a weak, worn or broken tooth
- To hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To cover and support teeth which have large fillings
- To cover a dental implant
- To cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover a tooth that has undergone root canal therapy
At Dr. Ledford’s office, we give you crowns that closely replicate the look and color of your natural teeth. Since crowns are cemented into place, they do not slide or shift out of position. If cared for properly, a crown can last for up to 10 years,
The space created as a result of missing teeth cause the nearby natural teeth to shift out of their positions, creating bite imbalances, which could eventually lead to gum disease and TMJ disorders. That is why, when we remove some of your teeth or observe lost teeth, we recommend the use of dental bridges to fill the gap.
A dental bridge spans the gap between multiple missing teeth. Bridges are cemented to the natural teeth or implants surrounding the empty space.
Advantages of using a dental bridge
- Bridges restore your smile functions such as chewing and biting
- Help in maintaining the shape of your face
- Allow the forces from your bite to distribute evenly in the mouth
- Bridges prevent your remaining natural teeth from slipping out of position
For more information, please call our practice at (816) 941-7996.