Anxiety and fear are massive barriers that prevent a number of people from getting dental treatments. At the office Dr. William D. Ledford, we strive to create a comfortable and relaxing environment for all of our patients and that is why we offer sedation dentistry services. The use of sedation reduces anxiety and allows your dental treatment to be carried on with ease. Sedation is suitable for long appointments as well as light procedures and routine visits.
Sedation Dentistry refers to the use of a class of drugs called sedatives to calm a patient or put them in a relaxed state, almost like sleep, before and during a dental appointment. Sedatives focus on depressing the central nervous system to allow patients to feel relaxed, and have a safe and comfortable dental experience.
Sedation Dentistry has become popular because of the benefits it offers for both the patient and dentist.
Below are few of the advantages of using sedation dentistry:
- Patient Relaxation and cooperation
- Movement Control
- Increased comfortability for patients
- Control of gag reflex
- Little or no memory at all of the treatment
- Ability to save time
TYPES OF DENTAL SEDATION METHODS
- ORAL SEDATIVES – Oral sedative medications are given to the patient usually a night before the dental procedure or an hour before the dental visit.
- Intravenous Sedation (IV) – Intravenous Sedation is the process of administering a drug into the blood system by inserting a needle into a vein in the patient’s hand.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation – Nitrous Oxide Sedation (also known as laughing gas) is used to put a patient to relaxation by allowing him/her to inhale it through a mask that fits the nose.
- General Anesthesia – General Anesthesia pertains to the method of putting the patient to complete unconsciousness.
For more information and answers to questions about sedation dentistry, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Ledford.